SilversReviews

Silver's Reviews

Sweet Water

Sweet Water - Christina Baker Kline

From New York City to Tennessee?

Was Cassie making the right move?  She thought so, but meeting family members she hadn't seen since she was three was frightening as well as disillusioning.  She had to find out her roots, to find out what happened to her mother, and to find out why her mother really didn't want to live in Sweetwater, Tennessee, and why her grandfather left her the family home and 60 acres​.  What could the reason possibly be when she never knew him?

Cassie is an interesting character that you will love and one that pairs up with an absorbing story that unfolds as alternating ​voices from one generation to the next tell their tale in this splendid story.  SWEET WATER smoothly flows from Grandmother Clyde's narrations to Cassie's retelling, reliving, and revealing of the secrets the Clyde family held.

Ms. Kline has this time written a marvelous book about families, roots, and life-changing secrets. Every family member was good at keeping secrets especially the one that Grandmother Clyde kept for 20 years and the secret that ate at her for her entire life.  Did Grandfather Clyde want Cassie to find something out?  Perhaps the secret?

I really enjoyed ​SWEET WATER because of the characters and the way Ms. Kline ​just pulled you in with her terrific, creative, thought-provoking storyline.

My rating is a 4/5 because SWEET WATER is a read you won't want to stop reading once you get going.​  If you have read any of Ms. Kline’s other books, you know what a treat you are in for when you read SWEET WATER.

The only thing that is holding me back from giving the book a 5/5 is that it was difficult to figure out who the one narrator was until a number of pages into the book and also because of the peculiar love story.  I am not sure how this love story fits in with the storyline except perhaps to prove how dysfunctional the Clyde family was.

Don't miss reading this newest addition to Ms. Kline's already fantastic lineup.

I received this book free of charge and without compensation from the publisher in return for an honest review.​

Source: http://silversolara.blogspot.com