SilversReviews

Silver's Reviews

Becoming Josephine

Becoming Josephine: A Novel - Heather Webb

When Rose moved from a balmy, beautiful Martinique plantation to a cold, stark Paris, her life followed suit.

She went from a loving, warm family to a husband and a life that was cold and distant.

Rose's arranged marriage was supposed to be one that would be a wonderful new chapter in her life, but it was totally opposite.  Her husband, Alexandre, was a philanderer and very critical of Rose. He thought she was beneath his social stature.

When the French Revolution broke out both Rose and Alexandre were imprisoned in a filthy, demeaning prison.

After her release, Rose was determined to change her life and never want for anything again.  She worked at and reached that goal.  Rose/Josephine was a very determined woman and led quite an interesting social life as she again looked for a husband. It is difficult to believe how she "hopped" from man to man.

BECOMING JOSEPHINE was very well written and kept my interest despite some of the political aspects.  I would recommend BECOMING JOSEPHINE if you are a fan of historical fiction.  It is historical fiction at its best.  Ms. Webb definitely did her research.

I truly enjoy this time period in history with all the fashion.  The strict rules about the rights of women during these times is always puzzling since there was no problem with the women and their sexual behavior.   My rating is going to be a 4/5.

This book was given to me free of charge by he publisher in return for an honest review.

Source: http://silversolara.blogspot.com