SilversReviews

Silver's Reviews

The Funeral Dress

The Funeral Dress - Susan Gregg Gilmore

A child herself, unwed, a baby, no mother, not attending school, working at a sewing factory, an abusive father, and no place to go.  How much more could Emmalee take?

Emmalee Bullard quit school because her father told her he was tired of taking care of her, and she needed to get a job.  She fortunately was hired at the town's sewing factory and met a wonderful woman, Leona, who treated her like family, but then that didn't work out either for Emmalee.

Emmalee had to make a funeral dress for Leona not long after Leona was going to help her.  Emmalee's heart was broken, and yours will break for her as she suffers yet another loss in her life.

You will fall in love with Emmalee, feel her pain, and want to hug her and take care of her.  You will want to take her away from all of this.

THE FUNERAL DRESS is about loving someone and wanting to remember them the best way you can.  It is about caring for others even if they aren't family. It is about the bond women have for each other.  Every part of THE FUNERAL DRESS is simply lovely even though it is sad.

Ms. Gilmore's writing style is easy and beautiful.  You will be right there with the characters enjoying their time together as well as being there as they help each other through unhappy times.

This is the first book I have read by this author.  It left me with a deep sentiment about the unspoken bonds women have and also with a better understanding of the plight of many women right in our midst.

THE FUNERAL DRESS will leave you with a lingering warmth and concern for the characters as you close the cover.   Make sure THE FUNERAL DRESS is part of your "must read" list.  5/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for an honest review.

Source: http://silversolara.blogspot.com