SilversReviews

Silver's Reviews

Necessary Lies

Necessary Lies - Diane Chamberlain

"Ivy and Mary was here."

Those words are the beginning, the ending, and the basis of NECESSARY LIES.  Those five words go full circle in this incredible, haunting book.

You will be transported to another world as you read NECESSARY LIES. A world of poverty and illiteracy as well as pity for the way the families had to live.

Jane, a physician's wife, was the new social worker dealing with the Hart and Jordan families.  The families worked on a farm owned by Mr. Gardiner who had connections with both families - connections that were not on the up and up.  The Hart girls, Ivy and Mary Ella, were the biggest problems for the family and definitely the social worker.  Together each family told a lot of secrets and "necessary lies" to the social worker.

The book's characters were genuine and will tug at your emotions.  One thing after another happens to the family, and the social worker gets drawn into the family's plight even though the social services agency told her some of things she was doing for the family were not acceptable.

The book flowed very nicely and was divided into chapters told in the voice of the main characters. You will become attached to the characters as I did and will be staying up late to "turn the pages" of this well-researched and beautifully written, poignant book based on a true program implemented in North Carolina.

NECESSARY LIES is the perfect title because lies were necessary for the characters to survive.  It is heart wrenching yet informative as you follow the characters through their inadequate, restricted days.  I thoroughly enjoyed this insightful, sensitive first book I have read by Diane Chamerblain. 5/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for an honest review.

Source: http://silversolara.blogspot.com