SilversReviews

Silver's Reviews

Land of Hidden Fires

Land of Hidden Fires - Kirk Kjeldsen

A motherless child who disliked her father, a downed airplane during WWII, an escape, and a German officer searching for the downed pilot.

Kari did not get along with her father and simply just made it through each day. Her father was not like her.  Kari was always curious about things.  Her father just wanted to go on with his farming and take no interest in what was going on around him.

The day Kari saw a plane crash was the day she realized she had to do something for the pilot and the day she saw her chance to leave. She decided she would take Lance, the American soldier, to Sweden.

LAND OF HIDDEN FIRES allows the reader to experience the dangerous trip Kari and Lance took in the freezing weather while they feared being caught by the Germans and as Kari felt remorse about leaving her father and taking his horse and carriage.

We continue as three characters pursue three different journeys but for connected reasons.

We follow Kari and Lance as they head to freedom for Lance in Sweden.

We follow Kari's father, Erling, as he searches for his young daughter.

We follow the German officer as he searches for Lance.

Mr. Kjeldsen has wonderful descriptions of the landscape, the characters, and the thoughts and feelings of the characters.

I liked the thought at the end of the book that said:  “People seemed to be full of hidden fires, invisible to one another and often even invisible to oneself.”  If you have the pleasure of reading this book, you will understand the quote.

I enjoyed LAND OF HIDDEN FIRES.  The book was sensitive, thoughtful, but definitely tense.

I think readers will enjoy the hidden, emotional messages as well as Mr. Kjeldsen’s marvelous writing style and story line that kept me turning the pages and wanting to get back to the characters' journeys.  4/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the author in return for an  honest review.

Source: http://silversolara.blogspot.com