SilversReviews

Silver's Reviews

Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver

Flight Behavior - Barbara Kingsolver

Butterflies that changed someone's mind about an affair?  Butterflies that have the entire country flocking to Knoxville, Tennessee?

Yes...butterflies may be what Dellarobia needed to change her boring farm life into something more exciting and something more inclined to her intelligence.

Migrating monarch butterflies and global warming were the main focus of  FLIGHT BEHAVIOR.  The word "flight" seemed to have two meanings in this book.  To me it meant how Dellarobia was trying to flee the doldrums of her life as well as referring to the miracle of the flight of the monarch butterflies who instinctively knew where to go.  Her life was never a pleasant one in terms of family and financial situations.

The book had deep meanings but to me I was seeing the surface of the book which focused on Dellarobia's life.  The reader will follow Dellarobia through her daily life, her financial struggles, and the unpleasant living conditions she had.  She had to live on her in-laws' farm and deal with her critical mother-in-law.

You will feel sorry for Dellarobia and will keep hoping something good will come out of the uproar the butterflies caused on the farm.  Dellarobia is an endearing character you will want to talk to, try to help, and wish you could actually meet. Her mother-in-law was someone you wouldn’t want to meet.  Her husband was indifferent about everything, and her children were sweet.

FLIGHT BEHAVIOR is an excellent read even though it took a few pages to get you hooked.  The characters are what carried the book instead of the storyline.  Characters who had a connection to each other but in reality were disconnected and made the book unique.  Ms. Kingsolver's masterful writing and detailed descriptions will take you away and pull you right in.

Science buffs will thoroughly enjoy the butterfly research as well as Ovid, the head scientist.  Overall the book was enjoyable, enlightening, and one that will make you think about your family, your life, your contribution to the world as a person, and how to improve yourself as well as the small part of the world that you inhabit.  4/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation in return for an honest review.  I picked up this book at the BEA in June of 2013.

Source: http://silversolara.blogspot.com