SilversReviews

Silver's Reviews

Dollbaby

Dollbaby: A Novel - Laura Lane McNeal

The 1960's, New Orleans, a matriarch, a girl without a daddy, housekeepers, families, and secrets.

Ibby was moved to her grandmother's home after her father passed away so her mother could have some time to herself.  Ibby had never seen her grandmother before nor had she known about her until a week before this move.  Ibby was frightened especially since she heard stories about her strict grandmother from her mother.

Ibby met Queenie and Doll before meeting her grandmother. Queenie and Doll are the staff in Grandmother Fannie's house.  They are very loving and caring and huddle around Ibby and take good care of her when Fannie can’t.

The characters in DOLLBABY were ones I fell in love with along with Ibby, whose real name was Liberty Bell.  Ibby was an understandably sad young lady for a twelve-year old with a heartbreaking story.

Queenie and Doll were warmhearted, Fannie was rough on the outside but loving on the inside with a past that was kept secret as well as a few other secrets that made the ending superb.   Birdelia was sweet even though she was kept out of sight most of the time and had a story of her own. Well…just about every character had a story that was kept under wraps.

If you love Southern fiction with a Gone-With-The-Wind feeling, you will love DOLLBABY.  We the reader follow Fannie, Ibby, Queenie, Doll, and Birdelia in their day-to-day activities during the time of The Civil Rights Movement.

DOLLBABY is an engaging, beautiful debut novel with amazing description, terrific, authentic characters, and a true-to-life storyline.  The cover itself will pull you in and will keep you reading.

Historical fiction fans and fans of family sagas will not want to put DOLLBABY down and will miss the characters when the book ends.  The ending was filled with revelations and proves family is everything even though they might have secrets.

Add DOLLBABY to your reading list this summer.  I know you will love it too.  It is going to be a favorite read for this year. The characters are what made DOLLBABY special.

I truly enjoyed this book.  I hope you can read it too.  5/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for an honest review.

Source: http://silversolara.blogspot.com