SilversReviews

Silver's Reviews

The Story of Sassy Sweetwater

The Story of Sassy Sweetwater - Vera Jane Cook

Sassy Sweetwater was always sassy but also very sweet.

Sassy was born out of wedlock on the riverbank of Sweetwater River.  Her mother used Sassy as her first name just because, and she used Sweetwater for her last name because she didn't want Sassy to know who her father was. Right after her birth Sassy and her mother, Vi, left the area and stayed away for thirteen years until Vi decided to return to her childhood home.

After thirteen years, coming back home was quite difficult for Sassy because she knew no one and was never told she even had any family.  It was wonderful for Vi, though.  Once Sassy saw the family home, she had no desire to live in this huge house and especially with Grandma Edna, but that is what her Mama wanted. Sassy found out very quickly more than she wanted to about her "kin" and about family secrets.

The Story of Sassy Sweetwater was a perfect portrayal of a Southern family.  I loved the descriptions Ms. Cook used to describe the beautiful home Sassy's mama grew up in, the landscape, and especially the characters.  The Southern mansion and its surroundings sounded fabulous.  Despite the beauty of the home and landscape, though, the McLaughlin family was definitely made up of an odd bunch of characters.

This book has adult situations and is set during the time of segregation. The Story of Sassy Sweetwater is an easy read that flows nicely despite the book always seeming to have a sinister, gloomy undertone that included murders along with everything else strange and dysfunctional.

It was an unusual book, not what I normally read but it was so different that I continued.  I loved the Southern charm and life style. The ending did turn out well for Sassy....it made a full circle from Sassy's poverty-stricken childhood to a rich, fulfilled Southern woman with the reader sharing her pain as well as her happiness.

The book will appeal to most readers but I would steer young readers away. There was quite a bit of adult content.  4/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the author in return for an honest review.

Source: http://silversolara.blogspot.com